Monday, February 10, 2014

The Awful Type Project


The internet and the world around me is filled with creative designs. My name is James Benavides and I live in Austin, Texas. As a graphic designer, I look for inspiration and ways to improve my skills on a daily basis. I am fortunate to be living in Austin, because the city is filled with talented designers. I have, like many other designers, scoured the internet for inspiration. One day while I was driving I noticed this awkward signage that had a severe stroke that engulfed most of the back of its logo. As I stared at this God Awful Type, I started to ask myself: What would I have done different? Other than remove that hideous stroke, ideas of changing the logo, wordlists, and random thoughts of re-creating a new logo started popping in my head. All this while driving in my car. That was the birth of the Awful Type Project. I claim no superiority in typography or design, but I am a student of design. I will be a student for the rest of my life, because I plan on learning more and more for as long as I can. I have dabbled in oil paints, photography, and I still go to Meetups to learn more about Bootstrap, WordPress, or just about anything else available during my free time. This project has raised my awareness about typography and design. I plan, if time allows it, to revisit these designs and do a 10-minute recreation of their designs. This is to show the DIY owners what could be done if they hired a designer, instead of saving money and creating it themselves.
Thanks for visiting my site. If you have your own Awful Type images I would love to share them on my site.
James Benavides

No comments:

Post a Comment